This might be hard to hear: What you eat is vastly more important than how many times you hit the gym in a given week.
This pops up in all sorts of cliches. “You can’t outtrain a bad diet.” “Abs are built in the kitchen, not in the gym.”
The cliches are overused, but the core idea remains true. Your nutrition forms the foundation of your health and either amplifies or completely negates any work you do inside the gym. More than just your body composition, your nutrition impacts your mood, your relationships, and your mental clarity. It’s the starting point for a healthy lifestyle.
In past years, we’ve run several different nutrition challenges at CrossFit Undeniable including most recently our Lurong Living challenge. Those have been great, and we’ve heard first-hand that many of our members found them valuable. They haven’t fully encompassed everything we’ve wanted to share though.
Starting September 10th, we’re going to run our own in-house nutrition challenge. The challenge will be point-based with participants receiving a set number of points for taking daily actions like getting 7+ hours of sleep, drinking enough water, and choosing appropriate foods. We’ll also have a community piece and, of course, an education component. As an incentive, we’ll be giving out cash prizes to the top male and top female participants.
All the details for how the challenge will work and how to sign up are below! If you want to sign up, either attend our upcoming nutrition workshop or email email@example.com.
Is This Challenge For You?
Before we dig into the details of the actual challenge, the obvious question is, “Should you sign up?”
The default answer here should be “yes” for a few different reasons:
- You’re guaranteed to learn something.
- We’re getting close to holiday season so it’s time to build healthy habits for temptation hits.
- Nutrition is literally the foundation for health so it’s never a bad time to refocus.
With that being said, if you can answer “yes” to any of these three questions, you should be signing up:
Have you done CrossFit for over a year without seeing results? Simply put “this shit works.” If you’re not seeing results with a year of hard work in the tank, you’re nutrition likely isn’t where it needs to be.
Are you confused on what a good diet looks like? There’s a lot of hype in the media around carbs vs fats, keto vs. paleo vs. vegetarian, etc. One minute you can have a glass of wine every night; the next minute, alcohol is the enemy. We’re not going to focus on a specific diet (everyone is different) than nutrition principles that apply across diets. We’ll also help you find out what might work best for you.
Are you new to CrossFit? The workouts are great, and they’re obviously a large part of what we do. There’s a lot that you do outside of the gym though that can dwarf any time you spend inside of it. If you’re new to CrossFit, I’d highly encourage you to attend.
Nutrition Challenge – The Overview
The challenge will start on Monday, September 10th and end on Friday, October 19th. We’re having an introductory session of sorts with our Nutrition Workshop on Friday, September 7th. However, attending the workshop isn’t required to participate in the challenge nor are you mandated to do the challenge if you want to attend the workshop.
The pricing will be as follows:
- Non-members – $149
- Members – $99
- Athlete Plus Members – $49
Keep in mind that if you attend our nutrition workshop ($50 for non-members, $25 for members, free for Athlete Plus), your workshop fee will apply to the nutrition challenge. So, if you’re a member and paid $25 for the workshop, you would only pay $74 to participate in the challenge.
Here’s the cadence we’re looking at for the challenge:
- We’ll send you one email per week (on Monday) with the knowledge topic for the week and links to additional articles, videos, and resources.
- You’ll have a set list of healthy habits to follow during the week. Each habit will help you accrue points.
- You’ll meet once per week with a small group (4-5 other participants) to discuss the overarching topic for that week. You’ll organize this directly with your small group.
- Every Saturday from 8:15-8:45AM, we’ll have a large group discussion at CrossFit Undeniable. We’ll discuss that week’s topic, answer any questions, and set the stage for the upcoming week.
- We’ll have a final, all-participant gathering on Friday, October 19th to announce the winners and celebrate what we’ve all accomplished.
Our goal is to encourage you to build new healthy habits over the six weeks while learning the foundations of proper nutrition with the support of other members of the community.
Points and Prizes
You’ll receive points throughout the challenge for following healthy habits and completing various tasks (attending your small group session, for example).
One-time tasks (10 points each):
- Test initial measurements (weight, pictures, and circumference measurements)
- Re-test initial measurements at the end of the challenge
- Attend final gathering on Friday, October 19th
- Get comprehensive blood work done after the challenge
Weekly Tasks (5 points each):
- Attend a meeting with your small group
- Attend our Saturday all-participant meeting (8:15AM-8:45AM)
Daily Tasks ( 1 point each):
- Workout for 30+ minutes
- Create a journal entry describing how you feel and major accomplishments for the day
- Drink 8 cups of water
- Avoid alcohol for the entire day
- Avoid sugary drinks for all meals
- Avoid processed food/junk food for all meals
- Get 7+ hours of sleep
- Eat all planned meals throughout the day
Each day then would have a maximum of 8 total points. Don’t worry – we built a tracking spreadsheet you can use to easily log your score each day/week.
Ready to Sign Up?
If you’re ready to sign up, just email firstname.lastname@example.org or talk to your coach when you’re in the gym next. The challenge starts on Monday, September 10th!