If you have been following anything on CrossFit social media, you likely have heard rumblings about the CrossFit Open. The Open is a global competition of sorts that happens over a five-week period starting on February 21st. Here are the basics:
- Workouts are released every Thursday from February 21st until March 21st.
- Participants have from the time the workout is announced until Monday evening to perform the workout and submit their score online.
- The top athletes advance further towards the CrossFit Games.
That’s technically what the Open is. At CrossFit Undeniable though, it represents a bit more. For us, the CrossFit Open represents:
- A way to test your fitness. You have worked hard to learn new movements, perfect old ones, and improve your conditioning. You have attended countless classes and done a seemingly infinite amount of snatch drills. The CrossFit Open is a way to test your fitness and see what you’re capable of.
- A way to support one another. The gym is seriously electric during the Open. We’ll have events every Friday night with members coming in to cheer on one another. You’ll have your own personal fan group for every workout.
- A way to have some fun! What could be fun about pushing yourself to exhaustion in a workout? Well, for one, you’re doing it alongside some great friends. Two, you’re going to do better than you think; I promise. The workouts seem scary at first, but you have prepared all year for this. Three, we’ll often go out for food and/or some celebratory drinks afterwards. It’s a great way to bond with our community over a little sweat.
If you’re curious, we wrote about what the CrossFit Open means a bit more last year.
The Open at CrossFit Undeniable
During the Open, we’ll program that week’s CrossFit Open workout on Friday during all of our hour-long classes. So, when the workout is released on Thursday evening, you can expect to see it the next day. You’re welcome to drop-in to any of our hour-long classes to complete the workout and have your score validated.
On Friday evenings during the Open, we’ll have our traditional “Friday Night Lights” events. From 4:30PM to 6:30PM (Last heats starting at 6:00PM), we’ll run heats of the Open workout back-to-back with 5-7 athletes competing at one time. You’re welcome to drop-in at any point during those hours to get in the workout. We’ll have a warm-up area, and we encourage anyone and everyone to come back in the evening and cheer on their fellow athletes!
If you can’t make it in on Friday and still want to complete the Open workout, you’re welcome to complete the workout during Open gym on Saturday (10AM) or Monday (6AM-9AM, 4:30PM-7PM). You’ll need to have your own judge (or ask someone after class nicely to help you).
- We’ll do the Open workout during all of our hour-long classes on Friday. The morning classes will proceed as normal (including Sprint classes). There will be no evening Sprint classes on Friday during the Open.
- We’ll have our Friday Night Lights event from 4:30PM-6:30PM during the Open with the last heat starting at 6:00PM. Come anytime during that window and signup to compete in a heat.
- If you can’t complete the workout on Friday, Saturday and Monday during Open gym will be your makeup times.
We’ll have a blow out party for the last workout (March 22nd) so stay tuned for more details!
What Should I Do Now?
Get psyched! Seriously. The CrossFit Open is a really fun time around CFU. The gym buzzes with energy on Fridays. You’ll meet friends, have fun, and hit a PR – promise.
For now, do two things:
- It’s not required, but if you’re interested in officially registering for the CrossFit Open (to see your name on the leaderboard), you can do so here.
- Have you friends join us at CrossFit Undeniable for our Friday Night Lights events!!
If you have any questions on how the Open will work, don’t hesitate to reach out – firstname.lastname@example.org. We’re happy to help!